The EC has today launched a consultation on its proposed revision of the Television Without Frontiers Directive. The website is http://europa.eu.int/comm/avpolicy/revision-tvwf2005/consult_en.htm
* Responses are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than September 5, 2005.
* There are five separate issues papers that you can comment on:
1. Towards a modern set of rules for audiovisual content: Scope and juridictional matters
2. Commercial Communications
3. Protection of Minors and Human Dignity, Right of Reply
4. Cultural Diversity
5. Rights to Information and Short Extracts.
* Final rules will be proposed by the EC at the end of 2005.
* The EC press release says:
I want the new EU rules on audiovisual content to be an example of better regulation , said Viviane Reding, the Commissioner responsible for Information Society and Media. My objective is to give Europe s media industry the most modern and flexible rules in the world. The new rules should unfold the opportunities of the emerging multimedia world which will offer increased competition and consumer choice, while clearly spelling out general public interest objectives such as cultural diversity and protection of minors. Existing rules, which have been overtaken by technological and market developments, must be abolished.